Helios products under consideration
The following is just a set of ideas of what we might produce.
Digitally-controlled analogue equipment
Dick was always looking for new ways of working in the studio environment and somewhat ironically he wanted to get rid of the console because it came between the monitor speakers and the sound engineer. This in turn requires new types of control surface and putting the sound processing in a rack – but he still wanted an analogue signal path.
What he wanted to deliver is much more achievable with today's technology, so it remains particularly interesting for us and if this interests you too, please get in touch.
We get a steady stream of enquiries about these. As Helios used to build equipment to customer requirements, there were many variations of component values and types. The question is: which design, what component values and what component types to select?
Type 69 Passive Equaliser with mic pre-amp
This re-issue would feature:
- a Lustraphone M10 transformer clone
- mic pre-amp with switchable 48V phantom power
The materials from an original Lustraphone transformer were analysed at the UK's National Physical Laboratory so that this clone should be as accurate as possible.
Type 78 Active Equaliser
We plan to base this 5-band unit on the last consoles delivered in 1978/79, offering active equalisation with all parameters continuously variable.
We have a rack-mount prototype version, but we're also considering a series 500 dual-width module.
If space allows, it may be possible to fit a mic preamp in too, so please let us know if a mic pre would be useful to you.
Helios Type 760 Compressor/Expander
Dick bought in an ADR unit and adapted it for use in Helios consoles. We think that the Helios version would be a worthwhile addition to the market.
Helios series 500 modules
- Mic preamplifier with a Lustraphone M10 input transformer but no equaliser — single width module
- Dual mid-range Passive Equaliser ie a rearranged Type 69 — single width module
- Type 78 5-band Parametric Equaliser in a dual-width module
- Type 760 compressor-limiter — single width module
Helios 19" rackmount
- Dual Type 69 Passive Equaliser
- Stereo mastering version of the Type 69 Passive Equaliser
- Single or perhaps dual Type 78 5-band Parametric Equaliser
Helios auxilliary mixer
A small (8-channel?) mixer to complement a digital workstation setup.
Questions? Comments? Please use the contact form.